Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Fairy Tales and Horror Stories

I've been reading Peter Straub's "Shadowland" and I just came across something that set me to thinking. Two characters (I think may be the Brother's Grimm) are talking to a 15 year old boy about fairy tales. They tell him that they "write down the stories To Amaze. To terrify. To delight." then a bit later. "These stories are not for every child--they do not suit every child. The terror is there, and it is real. "

I had to stop and read and reread those couple of paragraphs. It made so much sense to me. You see when I was a child I read every fairy tale book I could get my hands on. I read every single one that the library had in the town we lived in. Plus family always gave me fairy tale books for presents. I, even now, have the original stories of the Brother's Grimm - which believe me, are closer to horror stories than stories written for children.

Where am I going with this? Well, I am often puzzled by the fact that I write creepy, horror stories. Also it is the genre I read the most. But, now, I'm getting a better grip on the why of it. How could I write anything else? Because, I was and am the child they were writing for. I love to be amazed, terrified and delighted when I'm reading, watching movies or writing. So, maybe it isn't such a puzzle after all.

Reading is always an adventure and often a way to learn more about ourselves, others and our society. I guess in this case, I owe a big thank you to Peter Straub for his grasp and understanding of the horror genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment